Tepsi Baytinijian is a popular Iraqi casserole dish consisting of meatballs, tomatoes, spices, onions and garlic.
The Artisan Tandoor oven makes a perfect implement to easily cook all the elements of this dish at the same time with the added benefit of rich wood-fired flavour!
- 500g Beef mince
- 1 Eggplant
- 3 Brown Onions
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 Green Capsicum
- 2 Large Red Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- Half Bunch Parsley
- 2 Cup Basmati Rice
- Olive oil
- Black Pepper
- Baharat Spice
- Place the Beef mince in a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop 1 Onion, 4 Garlic Cloves and half bunch of Parsley and add to the mixing bowl with the Beef mince.
- Add 1 tsp of Baharat spice and salt to taste to the mixing bowl.
- Mix the contents of the mixing bowl well.
- With the contents of the mixing bowl, make several small circular patties.
- Slice the remaining 2 Onions, Eggplant, Capsicums and Tomatoes.
- In a cooking pot (that will be used inside the Tandoor), layer the Onions, Eggplant, Capsicums, Patties and Tomatoes.
- Add 2 tbsp of Tomato paste to a small bowl and add 1 1/2 cup of water, Salt, Black Pepper and Olive Oil. Mix well.
- Add the liquid contents of the small bowl to the cooking pot, ensuring the contents of the pot are covered well.
- Place the 2 Cup of Basmati Rice into bowl, add water and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
- Add 3tbsp of Olive oil into a cooking pot and drain the Rice, and add to the cooking pot.
- Add 1tsp of Salt to the cooking pot and mix. Add water to the cooking pot until the rice is covered entirely and there is at least one finger gap from the rice to the top of the pot.
- Ensure that your Artisan Tandoor oven has been fired and ready for cooking.
- Place the cooking pot containing the rice on the bottom tier of the rack included with your Artisan Tandoor oven.
- Place the cooking pot containing the meat patties and vegetables on the 2nd (mid) tier of the rack.
- The rice will typically cooking between 15-20 minutes. Remove and set aside, while covering with foil.
- Cook the pot containing the patties and vegetables for approximately 30 minutes.