Smoky Southern Style Fried Chicken made entirely in the Artisan Tandoor! East meets West for crisp, delicious and healthier fried Chicken with rich smoky flavour!
The Chicken pieces are fried in rich flavour generating (Ceramic walls) environment of the Tandoor oven, receiving radiant and convection heat while being smoked!
After frying, the Chicken pieces are smoked in the Tandoor with wood chips for a further 2 hours, during this process, the Chicken continues to receive heat and the excess oil is drained, the skin is crisped and the rich smoky flavour is immersed through the Chicken… finger licking delicious!
- 15 pieces Chicken (Drumsticks/Thigh)
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Eggs
- Chilli Powder
- Paprika powder
- Black Pepper
- Mixed Spice
- Ginger powder
- Garlic powder
- Place two Eggs in large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups of Buttermilk to the mixing bowl.
- Add Mixed spice, Black Pepper, Salt, Paprika, Garlic and Ginger Powder to the mixing bowl.
- Add the Chicken pieces to the mixing bowl and coat well.
- Cover with Glad wrap and leave in fridge to marinade overnight.
- Add 3 cups of All Purpose Flour to a new mixing bowl.
- Add Mixed spice, Black Pepper, Salt, Paprika, Garlic and Ginger Powder to the mixing bowl with the flour.
- Take the mixing bowl with the Chicken pieces from the fridge.
- Coat each Chicken piece individually with the flour mix and put aside.
- Ignite the selected fuel source in your Artisan Tandoor oven and ensure it is ready for cooking.
- Fill a cooking pot with oil and place on the bottom rack of the tiered rack included with your Artisan Tandoor oven.
- Place the tiered rack in the Artisan Tandoor oven to heat the oil.
- Once the oil has heated, remove the tiered rack and place the Chicken in the cooking pot.
- Place the Cooking pot on the bottom rack of the tiered rack and cook the Chicken in the Artisan Tandoor for 18 minutes.
- Once 18 minutes have elapsed, remove the tiered rack for the Tandoor and set the Chicken aside. Repeat the process with the remainder of Chicken pieces.
- After you have cooked all the Chicken pieces, add wood chips of your choice (we used Pecan, you can use apple, pear etc) to the Tandoor.
- Place the Chicken on the tiered rack and place the tiered rack back into the Tandoor. Smoke the Chicken for 2 hours.
- The Smoky Southern Fried Chicken is now ready for serving!