Musakhan is considered the national dish of Palestine and is typically cooked in a wood-fired Tanoor oven also known as Tabun (Taboon) oven.
Musakhan is a flavoursome and rich Chicken dish, with a fusion of spices and aromas. It is traditionally served with Taboon bread, made in the same oven.
The below recipe is for two portions of Musakhan, to feed two people.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 3 Large Brown Onions
- 1 Lemon
- Olive Oil
- Za’atar Spice
- Sumac Spice
- Black Pepper
- Pine nuts
- 2 Flatbreads (Traditionally Taboon bread but Lebanese bread can also suffice)
- Cut chicken into halves and place into mixing bowl, remember to leave the skin on.
- Sprinkle 1tbsp of Za’atar and 1tsp of Sumac over the Chicken in the mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle 1tbsp of Paprika over the Chicken in the mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle Black Pepper and Salt as preferred over the Chicken in the mixing bowl.
- Juice 1 whole Lemon and place juice over the Chicken in the mixing bowl.
- Add 3tbsp of Olive oil to the Chicken in the mixing bowl.
- Cover the Chicken in the mixing bowl and place in the fridge until the other elements have been completed.
- Slice all the Onions and place in a small heat resistant pot (that will fit in the lower tier of the accessory rack provided with your Artisan Tandoor oven).
- Add 1 tbsp of Sumac to the Onions.
- Add Salt and Black Pepper as preferred to the Onions.
- Add 2tbsp of Olive Oil to the Onions.
- Mix the Onions and added ingredients well.
- Add 3/4 of water to the Onions.
- Remove the Chicken from the fridge and place on the top two tiers of the rack, place the pot with the Onions on the bottom last tier.
- Place the rack in your Artisan Tandoor oven.
- Check the Onions after 20 minutes, if cooked, set aside and cover with foil.
- The Chicken will take 40-50 minutes to cook depending on the intensity of the fire and heat. Remember to place the Onions back on the last tier for the last 10 minutes of the Chicken cooking to reheat.
- Once the Chicken has cooked, roast the pine nuts in your frying pan.
- Place flatbread (or Lebanese bread) on serving plates.
- Add the Onion mix on the bread as a base.
- Add the Chicken on top of the Onions.
- Add the roasted pine nuts on top of the Chicken.